One of the things holding back MIP work- was the assembly of the COM and NAV panels. I finally picked up some window tint for the displays and was able to get them assembled and installed.
In the middle of doing that I found the microcontroller on one of the Display Cards was bad. Luckily I had a PIC programmer already from my last cockpit project still, so I was able to purchase a replacement chip from DigiKey, copy the HEX code from the working chip and write to the new one. Both Display cards are operational now! Yay!
With the radio panels installed I was able to get nearly all the wiring completed as well. I decided to make a small PCB for making the connection from the Flaps LED board to my custom I/O board a little easier. So once that board arrives that I think will round out the wiring for switches and indicators.
Here’s a look at the back side so far. Not as “clean” as I’d like as you sometimes just gotta roll with those “gotchas” 🙂 Also got a close-up shot of a I/O PCB I made as a cheaper and smaller alternative to the OpenCockpits Input/Outboard puts. One side is for Inputs, the other for outputs and you can put female headers on and plug directly into a MasterCard or male headers and connect with a ribbon cable. So far they seem to be working well.
My 3D Printed display bezels also arrived on Saturday from Shapeways and they turned out pretty good. Just need to paint them boeing gray now.
And just a look at the front side of the MIP while testing indicators.
I’m waiting on a order of ribbon cable now to finish up the connections to the OpenCockpits Mastercard, then it’ll be time to move it over to the office desk and start programming things.